Michael's second installment:
| Hoatzin Bird |
We saw quite a few interesting birds on the first excursion, including our first Hoatzin (pronounced watt-zeen), which is a strange looking bird that has apparently been around for a long time. The guide called it a prehistoric bird. The birds were fascinating, but the highlight of the animal search was seeing a GIANT anaconda resting in some of the shallow waters of the lake a little ways from our camp. At its largest, it appeared to be 8-10 inches in diameter and the guide thought that it was ~15 feet long, though we couldn’t tell for sure due to the murky water and the snake being coiled up.
| Scales of the anaconda peaking above the surface |
I was shocked by how close we got to it. Andrea and I were probably no more than 5 feet from the creature at one point, but apparently they only feed twice a year and they don’t really move much the rest of the time, particularly during the day. The guides didn’t seem concerned at all about being so close. I’ve never minded snakes much, but it took me a bit to adopt their unconcerned demeanor. To make it better, we finished off the night by taking a 10 minute swim in the lake only a couple hundred meters from the snake. It’s hard for me to imagine any business in the States having the gumption to take on that liability, even though it is apparently safe. We headed for camp, had a nice dinner, and enjoyed a long night’s sleep afterwards, since we hadn’t slept well on the overnight bus the night prior.
We started off our adventures on the second day in Amazonia with a morning hike. We planned to go a couple of hours out and then head back the same way, seeing what we could see along the way. We followed the plan with a notable modification that I’ll soon share.
| Quinine Tree |
Along our hike, we mostly looked at some of the different jungle plants.The guide showed us the tree that quinine comes from (which was used to treat malaria, until parasites in much of the world became resistant). We also saw the viney plant that curare comes from. Curare acts on the central nervous system to paralyze humans or animals. The local people used to use it for hunting to paralyze their prey, and it has been used medically in anesthesia as well. The guide also showed us how you could hit a particular species of giant trees with a large stick and it would make a sound that echoed for great distances. At one time, the indigenous people used this method as a way to communicate between villages.
| Waiting in the rain at the edge of the lagoon where our boat should be |
I don’t think anyone ever did find out where the boat driver went, but he was back at the camp later that evening and took us out for our evening fishing trip. (Apparently, the same fellow disappeared next day when he was supposed to take a group out for a shorter trip because he was convinced that he had Dengue fever and wanted to go the hospital even though he had no symptoms. At least he left them in camp instead of the middle of the rainforest. He was back again the next day, but I’d have to think that he got fired. I hope he finds a good psychiatrist).
I feel like I want to describe a few of these things from my point of view. :) The anaconda is one thing where I think my opinion differs quite a bit from Michael's. I didn't think it was that impressive at all. Like he said, it was almost all underwater, and you could hardly tell it was there. I was not surprised by how close we got, and never felt like i was in danger. In fact, I would say my favorite part was when we got to go swimming.
ReplyDeleteAnother comment to help describe our experience in the jungle: Pelle and Lars had great binoculars and were very interested in bird watching and learning about wildlife in general. Having them get excited about seeing something made it more exciting for us, and made us more interested in learning about what we were seeing.
There's a huge Anaconda at the shed aquarium. I wonder if it looks bigger in an enclosed space.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the second picture after the bird... White mesh on stick? Eggs?
ReplyDelete