Saturday, April 22, 2017

Niger - frustrating first attempt at a wet prep

We arrived in Niger on Wednesday, April 12. It is now Saturday, April 22.

Weather: The first week was hot, but we were optimistic about how we felt and handled the heat. It wasn't so bad, definitely manageable and we would consider returning in April. However, it was relatively cool - about 105 for a high. The last day and the forecast for the rest of our trip is the high being more like 109, and it is noticeable. It makes it harder to do things.

Today, in clinic, I tried to find yeast on a wet prep. Clinically, the patient had a clear yeast infection with extensive skin findings (under breasts, pannus, and in inguinal region) as well as vaginal discharge. Here, instead of like cottage cheese, the question to patients is "is it like tapioca?" I knew Susan was interested in making wet preps a more common tool here, so I took the time to get into the lab and find a test tube and saline. Actually, one of the harder things to find was a q-tip. Finally, we had all of the tools. The pelvic exam went well. Not the most yeast I have seen but some white clumps present on vaginal walls. We set it all up in the lab and I searched. I do think I saw yeast, but it is hard to show to the medical students because the options on the microscope are either not enough magnification power, or too much. My favorite setting is the yellow lens, and I could not get it to focus at all. I think the lens is misplaced? Very frustrating. Its a tool that would be great to have, relatively low cost with the major overhead being the microscope and that already being in house. Except the yellow lens. *sigh*



No comments:

Post a Comment